Monday, July 16, 2012

July 16, 2012

It is crazy, I can´t believe it has already been a month! Thanks for all your letters, updates and support!
So this week was good, every week is good as a missionary! Some notable things that happened this week:
Denisse Vasquez got baptized last week and was confirmed this Sunday. It was great to see and she is going to be an awesome help to the ward. We are excited as her family has accepted the invitation to take the missionary lessons as well. 
I spoke, along with two other missionaries this week (Elder Villagran my companion, and Elder Guiñazú). I spoke on faith.
We had our friend, Jorge, come to church this week. Jorge lost his leg last year because of diabetes but he has a great attitude and enjoyed Sacrament meeting. He knows he needs to stop smoking, and we are excited for him.
One thing that impressed me this week about the ward was an activity the young people (jóvenes) in the ward did. Here the friends the jóvenes have are basically those who are in their quorums. It is awesome. We stopped by and they were just hanging out all together having a little bbq at a members house. They are very impressive because everyone is always included and invited. The quorums really are just their friends and they love being together. 
One thing that was less than impressive was an experience I had earlier this week. We were walking to an appointment and saying hello or hola rather, to everyone and some teenagers shouted at us for some paper, a little piece of paper (papelito). Without thinking I gave them the only paper I give out to people, a pass along card. After doing so the young man said I can´t use this, this is sacred. Apparently he wanted to roll something and smoke it. Oh well, at least he recognized it was sacred!

Random question- maybe an English major could tackle this one, What kind of word is hello, or bye, or welcome? Not noun, verb...etc then what?

So this week we had cleaning checks. We actually got a very good review. The apartment looked pretty good, I hadn´t yet had the chance to tackle the inside of the fridge yet, (mainly because I don´t use it) so that could have been improved. But they said that the bathroom and kitchen were the cleanest they had seen. That was good. I just barely finished mopping today, every floor has now been mopped at least once!
Last night I sewed my shoe back together. It fell apart, and so I had to do some repair, I hope it holds, leather is a little hard to work with!

This week we went running three times! I went with Elder Guiñazú and Elder Rivas. We didn´t go very far or very fast but at least it was something. Switching it up besides just push ups and situps always feels good. Hopefully this will continue!

If I had to evaluate my spanish comprenhension I would say that I understand 85% just listening and 60% when asked a question. But it definitely is improving!

I know this is very random and poorly written, but this was my week!

Love you all,
Elder Crossley





Around town in Renca

A visit to the park on P-day






Denise's baptism 

Outside the Museum of Human Rights
memorial to the story of the Pinochet Coup 

No comments:

Post a Comment